Monday, June 25, 2012

Because he loved her

Her lashes blinked rapidly. As she looked at the rain-stained window, two raindrops were racing each other, "racing against time," she thought. She shook her head and went back to work. He was here again to oversee his subordinates. "Always here," she muttered. She watched him with complete annoyance as he walked here and there, cracking jokes and laughing with his head thrown back. How was it that people always surrounded him? And how does he talk to everyone? Why do they all talk to him? Questions ran through her head, she felt dizzy and sat down. "As long as he doesn't interfere with my work I'm content." As she finished muttering to herself, he stood right before her with a questioning glance. 

-"Where is the article you were supposed to hand in two days ago?"
- "It's on your table. I finished it a day earlier."
- "Oh. I couldn't find it then, make another copy and give it to me right away."
- "Why don't you search for it, in any case I don't want to waste paper." (Did I say waste paper, god that is the worst comeback ever!)
- "Those environment-friendly types you are? You can worry about saving the planet from tomorrow, right now I want the article."
- "Fine, I'll give it to you but after that I'm going home."

He watched her move around quickly to the printer. He stared at her fixedly and made no attempt to hide his amusement at her clumsiness. Laughing pointedly, he addressed her, "God! I've seen enough. Here, let me do it." As he pulled the paper out of the printer, she watched with irritation. "This is how you print an article," he remarked. Grabbing the paper out of his hand, she hurriedly wrote her name and gave it to him. "I have to leave now, if there's anything else you have to tell me give me a call. My number is on the desk."

Still staring at her, he took the paper and grinned at her. "Sure I'll give you a call," he called back after her. She walked on ignoring him. He stared happily. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sitting down with a cup of hot chocolate and a book she felt relieved to be sitting inside her house, away from the cold rain. She was disturbed by her phone vibrating. Looking over her book she recognised the number as his. She picked the phone with a sense of trepidation. Wondering what he might want, she casually said:

- "Hello, who is this?"
- "So you don't recognise my voice now."
- "Oh it's you. What do you want?"
- "You asked me to call if there's anything else and so I did."
- "And what is it?"
- "I love you, always have, always will. Watching you print that article today only made me fall for you even more."
Silent tears at her end.
- "Are you there? Did I scare you away? Hello, hello"
- "Yes I am. Just wondering."
- "Why I love you? I have a thousand reasons..."
- "No. Why it took you so long to admit it."
Laughter at his end. 

No comments: