Monday, June 25, 2012

Travel for travel's sake and all that

I think my rants deserve a whole new blog, one isn't enough. Of course, for me the grass is always greener on the other side; the stars are brighter in another country and the cake tastes better when someone else is having it.

While I'm stuck at home with nothing to do (okay I can join some classes to keep myself occupied) people are traveling. You heard that right! My inner Parisian-Spaniard-Italian has desires too, you know. I've always wanted to travel since I learnt how to read and write. I've also wanted to be a chemist since I learnt the word (no, not "medical shop owner" as some of you know it and make it a point to tease me with) but that didn't happen, marks in Chemistry weren't THAT great. But traveling I can do no? Just have to cough up some money, that's all. I'm also open to people who are willing to sponsor me, so if you're out there please drop in a message or something. Don't dally. Chop chop and all that.

For a long time I didn't quite understand the obsession with Paris, frankly (the city, not the girl). And then Gossip Girl happened. I know, I know I can see a lot of you raising eyebrows. But the serial did have some gorgeous views of the city. And after that "Midnight in Paris" happened, it pays to be a Woody Allen fangirl! The scene where Owen Wilson and Marion Cotillard walk and share their thoughts about Paris, I think I became a convert.  As many of you know I'm not a big fan of rain (I hate rainy days actually) but hearing Wilson describe how beautiful Paris is in the rain made me fall for the city hook, line and sinker. Darius Khondji's cinematography is to die for. Paris in the rain is breathtaking! (Quick Google some images and you'll see)

Spain's party life intrigues me the most. I took Spanish classes for a year for the sole purpose of visiting the country so that it becomes easier for me to converse and make my way around it. But it has been almost three years now and I haven't got a start. Our classes involved how to ask for help from strangers, how to order food in a restaurant-especially if you're a vegetarian, understanding football commentary and watching movies.  Ten years from now if I haven't visited this beautiful, hot country I will shave my head and pierce my nose. This is a sathyam-on-burning-karpooram.

And Italy for food. Bellissima and La Dolce Vita is all I can manage for now. If I remember other words I shall call. I also make excellent pasta. Don't believe? Ask the sister, mother and fraands (they always have my back or so I assume). I'm attempting Tiramisu and once I perfect it, I'll call David Rocco to taste it. I'm sure he'll come and bring his hot wife (sometimes I watch the show only to drool at her, she is HOT ok!)

Oh oh how can I leave UK out of the equation. To me the land is all about books, castles, charming men in plaid and tweed coats with elbow patches, self-deprecating humor and accents that floor you till no end. No? Sigh, I've always wanted to study there and I came *this* close to studying there in 2008 (I think) but financial problems happened, story cut short. My secret desire is to be educated in Oxford and  assist Woody Allen with script writing. #Posh, as someone I know would call it. But a girl can dream.

I guess United States of the Amrika has to be mentioned. One word: Manhattan. Two words: Gossip Girl. Three words: Upper East Side. See you at the other end! 'Ta!

Mark Twain always has this uncanny knack of saying the right things, don't you think so? So it's only fitting that he sums up this post. (It's like he meant this quote for me)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

No comments: